Coronavirus Update Updated 4th August 2020
We have some plans for events this year & early next year, subject to social distancing guidelines at that moment in time.
If members are interested, can they respond to each of the following five proposals ?
If so, please send an email as soon as possible to email@example.com
1. We are proposing a 3-day visit to Glyndebourne probably around 18th Dec this year to include seats at a Christmas Glyndebourne Concert followed by visits around & about. We are awaiting details of costs which would include a 2-night full board at a local hotel. A maximum of around 30 members is envisaged, so social distancing probably OK by then. Are you interested?
2. A Salters Boat Trip plus refreshments on board from Wallingford up river towards Abingdon. You shipshape for this river trip?
3. Brunch for around 25 members at possibly the Riverside in Benson. Are you interested?
4. We have ‘oven-ready’ visits to:
- Bristol Aerospace Museum
- Watercress Railway (near Winchester)
- The Paper Mill (Hemel Hempstead)
Would you be prepared to book up for trips now? How would you feel about using your own car?
5. In January 2021 we are scheduled to book our Celebration Lunch at the Badgemore Golf Club.Would you be prepared to book now for this?
Reply by email, giving your name and responses to firstname.lastname@example.org
Outings are arranged for members usually every month. They are organised at cost price, with transport, tickets and gratuities included.
Also, a short four or five day holiday is included in the itinerary every year and previous destinations have included Northern Ireland, Tuscany, Madrid, Slovenia. This year its Northumbria in June. Ideas for future outings are welcomed from members. Please email the Outings Co-ordinator for information on holidays or future outings.
The following visits were planned for 2020. These are either cancelled or deferred.
28 Feb – TUTANKHAMUN Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh Exhibition in London (this Outing did happen)
27 Mar – Brighton Royal Pavilion tour
14 Jul – Day trip to the Isle of Wight to include sea trip, coach tour and cream tea.
14 Aug – Salisbury Cathedral with tour – time available afterwards to visit other local places of interest.
25 Sep – Hemel Hempstead Print Works.
Oct/Nov – under review. Possibilities include Gloucester Docks and cathedral, Royal Crescent Bath.
Dec – possibility of the Albert Hall and Concert.
2021 – Next year the items under review are Betser Farm, Severn Valley Railway, Brownsea Island and Poole Harbour
June – Slimbridge Wetland Centre
July – Thames Barrier Boat trip from Tower Bridge to the Barrier and a talk on the operations of the structure.
August – Compton Vernay Introductory talk, a view of the several art galleries and the Tea Exhibition.
September – Fighter Command Bunker. There are 79 steps to be climbed to access the control centre. A detailed talk on the Fighter Command activities was provided.
October – Six Days in Sicily
December – Christmas Concert at St James. Usual carols, Christmas singing and mulled wine.
Our 2017 holiday to Lake Bled, Slovenia
A group of 38 of our members had a memorable 6-day holiday based at Lake Bled. There were many highlights including a visit to Postojna, one of the world’s largest cave systems and a wonderful day at Piran, a medieval town with a Venetian influence, a typical Mediterranean look and, on the day itself, a very Mediterranean climate.
Romania – September 2018
To Bucharest, a city of extremes, then to Transylvania in the Carpathians, an area of natural beauty and home to wonderful scenery, Dracula’s Castle (quite ‘sort of interesting’) and Peles Castle, (as in the photo) a truly wonderful 19th century chateau filled with highly decorated rooms, set in the most picturesque setting. A most enjoyable holiday with a happy group of members.
Read our accessibility and inclusivity policy.